The December backpacking trip will be to Beartrap, a Troop 26 tradition. The trek is located in the beautiful and rugged mountains in the northwestern corner of the Sespe Wilderness of the Los Padres National Forest.
The trail winds through groves of large mature incense cedars, Ponderosa pines and tall Douglas Fir trees. The trailhead is at Reyes Creek off Lockwood Valley Road. There is a little town we pass through just before the trailhead that takes you back in time, Camp Shiedeck.
Beartrap was a popular Grizzley Bear hunting ground in the late 1800’s. Reyes Creek is named after a local family that used to trap the bears. The drive takes about 2.5 hours from SB.
The hike to the camp (at 5,100 ft) is roughly 5 miles with an elevation gain of 1,500 feet, but is suitable for all scouts to participate. The campsite is situated in a picturesque deep valley. At this time of year, the sun sets around 2 pm. This, coupled with the elevation makes for a great cold weather camping experience. This trip is a must-do if you are going to Inyo Craters this coming January. Test out your gear and skills at keeping dry and warm. Bring your long-johns. 25 points to the first patrol who reads this flyer and contacts me.
In years past, we’ve hiked and camped in a couple of inches of snow and saw lots of evidence of bears. This is a Troop 26 favorite and should not be missed. We will be holding the competition for the T26 Silver Spatula award (best patrol dinner wins).
Signups for this outing close at the Tuesday, 9 December meeting and patrol equipment will be issued then.
- Meet at 7:00 am in the Big 5 parking lot on Saturday, 13 December
- Bring a sack lunch for Saturday that will be eaten on the trail
- Return to SB about 4 pm Sunday, scouts will be returned to St. Mark church
- Make sure your cold weather & rain gear fits & is in good working order
- Cooking will be done by patrols. Sat dinner, Sun breakfast & lunch
- Be creative, this is great opportunity to test your backpacking cooking skills
- Be sure to have a good breakfast Saturday morning before the hike.
- Be prepared for cold weather. Bring all gear on the attached equipment list.
Patrols shall plan their meals at the 2 Dec. meeting and assign a grub master to procure their own food. Each Scout shall pack from the attached packing list. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-570-3853.
Pictures from past trips