Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew – Serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large (about 16 oz.) sweet potato, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1-1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 8 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cumin, and allspice; cook 30 seconds.
Add tomatoes, broth, beans, and sweet potatoes, cover and heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in zucchini and cook, covered, 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, prepare couscous as directed. Stir mint into stew. Serve stew with couscous.