Penne ala Norma – Serves 4 to 6
1 pound penne rigate
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large eggplant, cut into ¾ inch chunks
1-1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored and cut into ½ inch chunks
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ cup torn fresh basil, plus more for garnish
¾ cup ricotta cheese
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until softened.
- Add eggplant to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until eggplant begins to release juices. Uncover; cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and ¼ cup water to skillet; cook until softened.
- Toss sauce and basil with pasta, gently reheat if necessary. Top each serving with a spoonful of ricotta and garnish with more basil.